Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Solar Structures at Forum Park by Victoria

Today we went to the solar panels. Recently the EU gave Barcelona an award for being very green in their solar power production. They are a model city for others to follow.


We saw that the solar panels create more energy in the summer because the days are longer in the summer so the solar panel gets more sun to create energy. Barcelona has a rule for residential structures that 60% of their hot water has to come from solar energy. 
                         
This solar panel is the largest solar structure in the world. It uses mono crystalline technology and is made up of tiny silicon wafers that convert sunlight into electricity (direct current or DC electricity). The solar panel faces south for maximum solar exposure. The solar panel was an all day experience because it was very far away from our apartment.


I thought it was very impressive that Barcelona is so serious about solar power. It made me wish that Boise would do more solar power in our city.

8 comments:

  1. So awesome! And right on time! Today we are sharing our Solar projects! I will be sure to share yours with everyone too! l might also have to go see Mr. Hamilton this morning and see if I can convince him that fifth grade needs a field trip to Barcelona. Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wish the world would take a lesson from Barcelona, especially the USA. I love that 60% of the hot water comes from solar. What a neat thing to see, it looks huge but also looks beautiful. It's beauty and function :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I printed out your work and did a Google Graph thingy and put them on display at our Solar Energy Open House. Everyone loved that you had a project on display! I will send you a photo. Thanks so much for sharing with us and for taking the long trip out to the solar panel. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I am very impressed with Barcelona and how progressive they seem. Fine reporting V

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool Vic. It ties in so well with the unit. I saw your display on Tuesday. It was awesome. Everyone thought it was amazing that you did something from Barcelona. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry victoria I did not know how to post comments for you and for harry my other post was meant for harry .p.s those solar panels are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How huge is solar panel. I wan to see those thing. It is about our project?

    ReplyDelete
  8. V,Those are so cool!! What do they power? How big are they? We put your work out at the solar energy open house!!!! It was really cool to see what people made and see that you could do the project too even though you were away. I felt good about the Open House but I wish my project had been a bit better (*NOTE: Mrs. terBorg things her project was AWESOME and that she is being way too hard on herself ~ Mrs.terBorg). Thanks for sharing about your solar experience! Lilly

    ReplyDelete