Friday, September 9, 2011

the market by Victoria

We went to the Mercet de La Boqueria market today. We saw some weird things in the meat section. The picture below is of a big rabbit carcasses with the liver still in the body . They also had rabbits with there heads still on. At a first glance it looked like a small dog or a cat but it was a rabbit which surprised me.
 This picture is of pig leg. If you look hard enough you can see the hooves on the feet.
                This is a picture of a duck with the head and the feet still on it and some feathers. I think that the meat here looks gross because in the United States they never leave the head on a duck or a chicken.
This is a picture of some pig feet. The feet looked like baby rabbits at first but then is saw that they were pig feet. I do not think that I would ever eat a pig foot. Do not judge me, would you ever eat a pig foot?  I do no think so.
 I know this looks fake but it was real and the pig looked so sad. It was really creepy. They also had hearts that you could buy but we did not get a picture of it. I was thinking... would you ever  buy any of these things for your family to bring home and eat?
I think that for a few days i will not eat meat after my experience. So instead, we ate at a healthy vegetarian restaurant. The food was quite delicious.
(vegetarian food)

5 comments:

  1. V, would you believe my Grandmother and Grandfather and my Dad ate pigs feet!!! They loved them but we would never try them. I think you will be a vegetarian for a few days!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that market visit, I know I would be joining you for the vegetarian food! I felt my tummy tumble itself into knots as I scrolled through your pictures of one fleshy pile after another! By the time I got to the fresh pitas and cheesy crepes, it was like my stomach let out a sigh of relief! Something that looked not only edible, but also delicious! I am wondering about the pig's head: for it to be featured so prominently in the glass cabinet like that, it must be....special? extra delicious? very expensive? Can you imagine arriving home and opening a pot on the stove and seeing THAT jumping around in boiling water, staring back up at you? Markets are such an awesome window into what is "typical" for other cultures. I wonder what the people who shop at this market regularly would think if they came to Albertsons (or Fred Meyer!) and saw the meat neatly packaged?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was disgusting! You're right, can you imagine Bob coming home and saying, "look what I have for dinner", and then pull out that pig's head. I think I would faint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zia- I bet Gracy and Cooper would love to eat that pig head, especially the ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. terBorg- We have been thinking of some very cool ways to interact with the class. I miss all of you very much.

    ReplyDelete