Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ictineo, the world's first submarine by Harry

 The world's first submarine was made in 1859 and launched in the Barcelona harbor. It was invented by Monturiol i Estarriol. He invented it after he saw a coral diver drown. In 1862, after completing 50 dives the submarine crashed and was destroyed. Monturiol tried to sell his idea to the military but they didnt see any use for it at the time. 
 This replica is at the Barcelona Maritime Museum.
 In 1870 Jules Verne, the author of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, made the idea of submarines popular with his creation of the Nautilus. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is one of my favorite books.


The replica of Ictineo was cool to look at, but I wish they would let you go inside.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool Harry. The world's first sub, I did not know that! I agree, I would want to go inside. Also, your sister is wacky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first sub. is in Barcelona, I never would have guessed it. That was really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo of the two of you with your heads sticking out on the ship!

    ReplyDelete