Monday, October 17, 2011

Reina Sophia by Victoria

The current special exhibit at the Reina Sophia Museum is by Alighiero Boetti. His art was weavings of all the countries with the design of there flag on their country. It was a really cool art project and I do not know how he came up with it. The weavings were made in different countries and the only instructions he would give the weavers was on an elementary school map which was colored in with all the country's flags. But they could make the back round any color they wanted from a bright yellow to a dull gray.
My home away from home, Espana
I think that I can see my house from here.
I think Mrs. terBorg will like this picture.
Here is the original grade school map that inspired him to make the weavings.
Maybe this would make passport more fun for everyone.
This was another weaving done by the same artist. 
Can you find these 5 items? 
1. Harry Potter glasses 
2. a yellow crab 
3. a plunger 
4. a peace sign 
5. an alarm clock 
Comment if you find other interesting objects.
You can almost hear the voices of these faces talking all at once. Here is the math lesson for the day:  what do you call shapes that fit together with out any blank spaces? Put your answer in a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Victoria. Boetti's work is absolutely fantastic, isn't it. I think you and Harry should launch a mural project back here at Riverstone. Mr. Jay would love it, and so would we. The flag mural would fit right in, don't you think? Now, about those shapes that fit together without any gaps...I'd call them tessellations. Remember Escher's work? He loved them, too. Thanks for inspiring us on this Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start my day! I love the picture of my little country! Thank you! I found all your objects except for the plunger...will have to keep looking. I saw a life preserver, a horse, an octopus, a telephone, a spider and a rolling pin! I am always fascinated by how people can figure out how to make pictures with weaving. At first it seems so easy but if you actually give it a go (weaving) it is pretty challenging - but then to also do it in a way that results in a gorgeous picture or a map of the world! That is talent! I was told about a new math site today - it is Greg Tang's math site - he wrote "Grapes of Math" and "Mathterpieces". I really think you would like Mathterpieces - especially now that you are an international art enthusiast! I have the book on my shelf - I'll share it with you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That article Victoria did was really awesome!!! I found a rolling pin, an octopus, a horse, a cat, a star, a spider, a leaf, a dolphin, scissors, and a fish. I couldn't find the alarm clock...just keep looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From, Gwyneth

    ReplyDelete